Bob practises in the area of business law with an emphasis on franchising, distribution and licensing matters, mergers and acquisitions, and foreign investment.
He acts on an on-going basis for a number of manufacturers, franchisors and distributors and represents domestic and international companies on acquisitions and divestitures in Canada.
Bob also acts as counsel on domestic and international corporate reorganizations and has experience negotiating complex shareholder and partnership agreements.
- Acts on an on-going basis for a number of manufacturers, franchisors and distributors.
- Acted on behalf of an international franchisor acquiring one of the largest Canadian-based franchise systems in a transaction involving exchangeable shares and related agreements.
- Acted for franchisee establishing joint venture and on negotiation of master franchise agreement for three different franchise systems with over 600 units.
- Advised on negotiation and drafting of agreements for multiple jurisdiction joint venture for licensing and development of technology and establishment of manufacturing facility.
- Assisted a franchisor to regain control of a franchise system on default of a Canadian master franchisee.
- Reviewed a proposed takeover of a multiconcept franchisee on behalf of a franchisor and developed a strategy to protect first refusal rights.
- Implemented tax-effective cross-border reorganization of a franchise system.
- Preparing franchise agreements and disclosure documents.
- Negotiating revisions to franchise agreements for master licensees/franchisees.
- Acted for a franchisor on a reacquisition of Canadian master licence rights.
- Domestic and international corporate reorganizations.
- Represents domestic and international companies in acquisition and divestitures in Canada.
- Negotiating complex shareholder and partnership agreements.
The Franchise Relationship - Alternative Arrangements
You Gotta Have Faith - Good Faith and System Changes
Let's Make a Deal: Mergers and Acquisitions in Franchising
Accidental Franchises: If It Walks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck
Expanding the Franchise System: Territorial Development, Master Franchising and Joint Venture Franchising
The Franchise Relationship
Privacy: Balancing Private Rights and Business Interests. And, Private Sector Privacy Legislation: An Overview
Legal Issues for Franchising in the Electronic Age
Franchising in Ontario, Key Developments and Practical Advice
Doing Business in Canada
dealing with the duty of good faith and fair dealing in franchise agreements
- University of Toronto, LLB - 1978
- McMaster University, B. Comm. (Summa Cum Laude) - 1975
Year Of Call
- Called to the Ontario bar - 1980
franchising and distribution
franchise and distribution
Directorships and Professional Associations
- Bob serves as director of a number of private corporations.
- Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Subsection
- Canadian Franchise Association, Legal and Legislative Affairs Committee
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- International Franchise Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Bob does pro bono work for several charitable organizations benefitting people with developmental delays and other special needs.
Awards & Rankings
- Received an "AV" Peer Review Rating, the highest rating awarded from Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by the 2014 Best Lawyers in Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of Franchise Law