Matthew German is a partner in the firm's Toronto office and a member of the firm's Real Estate Group. His practice focuses on all aspects of commercial real estate, including real estate acquisitions and dispositions, development, financing and leasing of commercial properties.
Matthew frequently represents commercial landlords and tenants, corporate and individual real estate investors and operators, financial institutions, real estate developers and asset managers.
Matthew also has experience in acting for mining companies in connection with title reviews and opinions and related real estate documentation with respect to acquisitions, dispositions and financings of mining tenures in Ontario.
In addition, Matthew advises contractors and owners in the negotiation of construction contracts including CCDC contracts and supplementary conditions.
Matthew German's recent transactional experience includes:
- Acted for LuCliff Company Limited in connection with the sale of the mixed-use building known as LuCliff Place (700 Bay Street, Toronto) to KingSett Canadian Real Estate Income Fund LP (2012).
- Acted for Manulife Real Estate in the purchase of York Mills Centre from Ivanhoe Cambridge (December 2011).
- Acted for Detour Gold Corporation in completing a C$275 million bought deal offering of common shares (November 2009).
- Acted for Mirvish Productions when it purchased Toronto's Canon (now Ed Mirvish Theatre) and Panasonic Theatres from Key Brand Entertainment Inc. (2008).
- Acted for Rogers Communications Inc. when it completed its acquisition of Aurora Cable TV Limited (June 2008).
- Acted for one of the largest U.S. developers of shopping centers in connection with the formation of a new joint venture to develop a 74-acre mixed-use project in Richmond Hill (2007).
- Acted for Rogers Communications Inc. in connection with the purchase of 35 Dundas Street, East, Toronto from Penex Dundas Square Ltd. (2007).
- Acted for North American trucking company in connection with the refinancing of C$160 million credit facility (2007).
- Acted for leading Canadian communications and media company in connection with its corporate reorganization and transfer of real estate assets (2006).
- Acted for Kraft Canada Inc. in connection with the sale of its canned fruit and vegetable, soup and Italian foods businesses to CanGro Foods Inc. (2006).
- Acted for Rogers Communications Inc. in connection with the purchase of 8200 Dixie Road, Brampton (former Nortel headquarters) from Nortel Networks Limited (2006).
- Acted for Drive Products Inc. in connection with the sale and leaseback of six commercial properties across Canada to Canadian Urban Ventures GP No. 1 Inc. (2006).
- Acted for Rogers Stadium Limited Partnership in connection with the purchase of the SkyDome Assets from Sportsco International, L.P. (2005).
Strategic Drafting Considerations at the Pre-Tender Stage
the impact of recent mining act amendments on mining tenures in Ontario
A Tale of Two Tenants
Real Property and the New Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax
Tenants in Dangerous Times
The New Mortgage Brokerages, Lenders and Administrators Act
Toronto Land Transfer Tax
The New Residential Tenancies Act: What a Landlord Needs to Know
The Construction Lien Act – Understanding the Basic Rights and Obligations
Assignment, Subletting and Landlord's Consent
Suits Against Employees
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LLB - 2003
- York University, Certificate in Sport Administration - 2001
- York University, BA (Hons.) - 2000
Year Of Call
- Called to the Ontario bar - 2004
commercial real estate
real estate acquisitions and divestitures
real estate financing
commercial real estate
Directorships and Professional Associations
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- National Association of Income and Office Properties (NAIOP)