613.232.7171 Ext. 245
Martin is a bilingual partner in the firm's Ottawa office. His commercial and regulatory law practice focuses on competition matters, international trade law and procurement matters. He also deals with other federal regulatory matters including Federal Court advocacy, aboriginal law, and telecommunications law.
- Competition Law: Martin assists national and international clients with the Competition Bureau's merger notification regime including its Supplementary Information Request process. He represents clients on criminal cartel and bid rigging investigations, as well as abuse of dominance, retail price maintenance and other civil competition matters. He advises on competition related class action matters and assists on the implementation of competition compliance programs.
- Trade Law: Martin's trade remedy experience focuses on anti-dumping, subsidy and safeguard matters. He has appeared before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal ("CITT"). He also assists clients with compliance matters involving customs, export controls and trade sanctions.
- Public Procurement/Bid Challenge: Martin represents clients in challenges of unfavourable procurement decisions to the CITT, the Federal Court and provincial Superior Courts. He also advises clients in preparing bids and proposals and drafting procurement guidelines.
- Federal Regulatory Law/Aboriginal Law: Martin assists with a number of federal regulatory law matters, including Investment Canada Act compliance and Access to Information Act requests. He regularly deals with regulatory agencies and departments, including Heritage Canada, Industry Canada and the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission. He advocates on behalf of clients in judicial reviews of decisions of federal and provincial agencies. Martin also provides advice to several aboriginal groups and to companies considering developments on property subject to land claims.
Specific examples of Martin's practice activities include the following:
- Obtained Competition Bureau merger compliance for numerous proposed merger transactions in various industries, such as book publishing, telecommunications, plumbing and HVAC distribution and paper products
- Represented Bertelsmann in the Canadian merger review process relating to the formation of the global Penguin Random House publishing venture
- Represented several clients in Competition Bureau cartel and bid rigging investigations in the construction, auto parts and IT consulting industries
- Handled numerous large anti-dumping, subsidy and safeguard cases before the CITT involving steel, aluminum, agricultural and household products
- Advises multinational importers and exporters on complying with customs, export controls and trade sanctions
- Represents Rogers Communications Inc., Veritaaq Inc., Supremex Inc, Procom and numerous other clients in federal government procurement challenges to the CITT
- Represented a large multi-national telecommunications company in a multibillion dollar spectrum author conducted by Industry Canada
- Appearances before the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal for a wide range of clients including the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne, and the Nunavut Wildlife Management Board in a successful Federal Court challenge to a government fishing license decision
- Acted for the Inuvialuit of the Western Arctic in arbitration hearings relating to the implementation of the Inuvialuit Land Agreement, and drafted a comprehensive review of the Inuvialuit Final Agreement
- Appeared before the Ontario Court of Appeal on behalf of an international logistics and mailing organization
Challenging Federal Public Construction Law Tenders
Managing the Regulatory Process
Conducting Regulatory Investigations
Canadian Corporate Counsel Association (CCCA)
Osgoode Hall Professional Development
The Federal Accountability Act : New Challenges for Administrative Law
Public Sector Paralegal Forum: Civil Litigation and Administrative Law
2012 international trade law review
Canada makes changes to investment Canada regime
Canada hits leniency applicants with public tenders ban
leniency applicants now debarred from federal procurement
criminal charges for breach of merger consent order: yikes!
2012 federal budget shakes up Canada's trade remedy system
Frequently Asked Questions on International Transactions – A Regulatory View
aboriginal claims – another layer of complexity and risk for the construction industry
Do's & Don'ts in Federal Government Procurement Challenges
Changes to the Canadian Competition Law Landscape: Real or Imagined?
Buy American: L'entente entre le Canada et les Etats-Unis suscite beaucoup de reactions
Consumers Needed In Interprovincial Trade Negotiations: Report
Hot Topics in International Trade Law
Buy American or What?
A Door Half Open: Changes Recommended to the Investment Canada Act
Canada Tables Consumer Protection Legislation
Canada's Export Controls: Think Before You Export
Canada's Bill C-43 Incorporates Hidden Advance Data Element Requirements
Safeguarding Your Business Against Cheap Imports
Seeing the Forest through the Trees: Making Sense of the Softwood Lumber Saga
Marketing Payment Cards in Canada
Safeguard Actions: The (Not So) Secret Trade Weapon
Reviewing NAFTA Chapter 11 Awards in Canadian Courts: A Case Commentary
Administrative Law Cases at the Federal Court
Canada Customs Tightens Compliance for Exporters
The Anti-dumping Recourse: NAFTA Panels Clarify Rules on Export Performance
Quebec Court of Appeal Quashes Commissioner's Power to Issue Temporary Orders
Thou Shalt Not Defer: Superior Propane and the Standard of Review Applicable to the Competition Tribunal
Towards a Truly Globalized Competition Initiative
- Queen's University, LLB Contributing Editor, Queen's Law Review - 1995
- University of Ottawa, B.S.Sc. - 1992
Year Of Call
- Called to the Ontario bar - 1997
anti-dumping and anti-subsidy remedies
foreign investment review
international economic and trade sanctions
manufacturing, distribution and retail
Directorships and Professional Associations
- Past Director, Code Inc.
- Canadian Bar Association, Chair, Federal Courts Bench and Bar Liaison Committee
- Ontario Bar Association, Institute 2013, Co-Chair
- American Bar Association, International Law Section, Vice Chair (International Procurement)
- American Bar Association, International Law Section, Steering Committee Member, (International Antitrust)
- Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters, Trade Policy Committee
- Canadian Bar Association, Executive Member, Administrative Law Section
- Canadian Bar Association, Competition Law Section
- Sessional Adjunct Instructor, Queen's University, Faculty of Law (LAW 683: International Trade Remedies), Fall 2006, Winter 2010 and Winter 2012
- Lecturer, Centre for Trade Policy and Law, Carleton University, Spring 2008 and 2009
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Spring Meeting 2013, Washington, Panelist "When is a Parent Shareholder Liable?"
- Federated Press, Faculty Member, Toronto, "Bidding and Tendering in the Public Sector", April 2013
- Campaign Coordinator, McMillan Ottawa United Way Campaign
- Volunteer , Nepean Minor Hockey Association
- Volunteer, Nepean City Soccer Club
Awards & Rankings
- Recognized in Chambers Global: The World's Leading Business Lawyers 2013, as a leader in the practice area of International Trade/WTO
- "Canada hits leniency applicants with public tenders ban" by Stefano Berra, Global Competition Review, November 29, 2012
- "L'entente entre le Canada et les États-Unis suscite beaucoup de reactions" by Daniel Thibeault, Le Telejournal, February 2010