Graham is a commercial lawyer in the firm's Vancouver office with a practice substantially focused on debt finance and real estate transactions. Graham also frequently utilizes his commercial law experience to advise First Nations groups, private companies and lenders in various business transactions involving First Nation interests.
Graham's debt finance work involves advising institutional and private lenders as well as borrowers in the financing of a broad range of businesses including independent power projects, real estate, maritime assets, aboriginal lands and businesses, farms and agricultural products, aircraft and other mobile equipment, forest, mining and mineral assets and public-private partnerships (P3s). These financings have included syndications and participation arrangements amongst lending institutions
Graham's real estate practice involves providing advice to purchasers, sellers, landlords and tenants in commercial real estate purchase and leasing transactions.
Graham also acts for clients in other commercial transactions such as the purchase and sale of businesses, the negotiation and preparation of shareholder agreements and the structuring of joint ventures and partnerships.
Some examples of representative work Graham has been involved in include:
- Great Canadian Gaming Corporation in respect of its offering of $450 million principal amount of 6.625% senior unsecured notes.
- Construction and term debt financing for numerous independent power projects.
- Financing of a number of major greenhouse agricultural operations.
- Great Canadian Gaming Corp. to secure a C$200 million revolving credit facility and a US$170 million term loan and to issue US$170 million senior subordinated notes for gross proceeds of C$600 million.
- Great Canadian Gaming Corp. to secure $450 million in financing and redeem Series A and Series B Secured Notes, September 2006.
- West Fraser Timber Co. on debt financing transactions.
- Canadian Life Insurance Companies in commercial mortgage and mortgage bond financings.
- Served as counsel to an insurance company in providing secured deposit protection insurance contracts' under the Real Estate Development and Marketing Act.
- The purchase of a Vancouver office tower by way of court-ordered process.
- The purchase of a significant downtown Vancouver building involving a sophisticated offshore trust structure.
- Advising on the financing of a commercial mining venture with significant aboriginal consultation and accommodation issues.
- Advised a First Nation in structuring its ownership and obtaining financing in respect of an aboriginal owned and operated run of river hydro facility.
- Provided advice to a corporate joint venture partner in respect of a project with a First Nations group to acquire Crown owned lands to develop into a bulk seaport terminal.
- Provided legal advice on a project to reform the land registration system applicable to aboriginal reserve lands in Canada.
- Regularly acts for financial institutions in respect of infrastructure and commercial loans to assist First Nations in maximizing their economic opportunities.