Brent McPherson is a partner in the Advocacy and Commercial Litigation Group in the firm's Toronto office. While Brent regularly acts on a broad range of commercial dispute litigation, he has particular expertise and extensive experience handling cases involving corporate governance issues, shareholder rights, cross-border litigation, jurisdictional issues and complex commercial disputes. Brent also has extensive experience acting as lead counsel for corporations seeking approval of plans of arrangement under the OBA and CBCA.
Brent has acted for monitors, receivers, trustees, creditors and debtors in all aspects of bankruptcy and insolvency litigation matters.
Brent is a former member of Joint Ontario Bar Association and Advocates' Society Task Force on E-Discovery, Implementation Committee.
Brent McPherson has acted as lead or co-counsel in the following matters:
- Extensive experience as lead counsel acting for public companies on applications for approval of plans of arrangement under the OBA and CBCA.
- Lead counsel in a major commercial dispute regarding the purchase and sale of securities of a public company.
- Counsel in several multiple jurisdictional actions against manufacturers for breach of contract and negligence.
- Co-counsel in multiple actions concerning ownership and interest in a major Canadian real estate portfolio.
- Regularly engaged to act on international commercial disputes.
- Extensive experience bringing and responding to applications to enforce letters rogatory and foreign judgments, and handling other jurisdictional issues.
- Regularly acts for and against mining companies on claims relating to mining interests worldwide.
- Counsel in action against a major financial institution involving claims of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Lead counsel on commercial disputes under international franchise agreements.
- Regularly acts for plaintiffs and defendants on claims involving professional negligence.
- Acts regularly on cases involving claims of breaches of contract, breach of trust, breach of fiduciary duty and duty of confidence.
- Regularly handles injunction applications in connection with non-solicitation and non-competition contractual provisions.
- Extensive experience acting for and against corporations in proceedings under the OBA and CBCA, including sanction hearings in respect of applications for approval of plans of arrangement.
- Counsel in various cases involving shareholder disputes.
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Has acted for monitors, receivers, trustees, creditors and debtors in all aspects of bankruptcy and insolvency litigation matters.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Extensive experience with arbitration and mediation.
- Counsel in a week long international arbitration held in Stockholm, Sweden, concerning claims arising from the sale of equipment to a firm in the Republic of China.
Ultimate Corporate Counsel Guide
CCH The Ultimate Corporate Counsel Guide
Lang Michener InBrief
Lang Michener Insurance Brief
Lang Michener Insurance Brief
Lang Michener Five O'clock Lecture Series
Presenter, McMillan Lecture Series